* New: Most Influential Paper Award: 10-Year Retrospective from the Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference - J. Hu, R. Marculescu
* New: 2013 Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference Best Paper Award - Hiroki Matsutani, Paul Bogdan, Radu Marculescu, Yasuhiro Take, Daisuke Sasaki, Hao Zhang, Michihiro Koibuchi, Tadahiro Kuroda, Hideharu Amano photo
* New: 2012 IEEE/ACM Intl. Conference on Hardware/Software Co-design and System Synthesis (CODES-ISSS) Best Paper Award - Z Qian, P. Bogdan, G. Wei, C.-Y. Tsui, R. Marculescu
* New: 2012 International Symposium on Networks-on-Chip (NOCS) Best Paper Award - P. Bogdan, S. Jain, R. Tornero, R. Marculescu
* New: 2012 D.O. Pederson Best Paper Award from IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems - U. Ogras, P. Bogdan, R. Marculescu pic1 pic2 video
- 2003 ASPDAC Best Paper Award - T. Dumitras, S. Kerner, and R. Marculescu
- 2001 DATE Best Paper Award - R. Marculescu, A. Nandi
- Winner of the annual college awards 2002 Radu Marculescu – Ladd Research Award
* New: Keynote @ NOCS 2013: UNDERSTANDING NETWORKS-ON-CHIP: A DECADE AND BEYOND
- Keynote @ SiPS 2012: Design of Future Integrated Systems: A Cyber-physical Systems Approach
- Tutorial @ ASPLOS 2012: Power Management of Multicore Systems: Challenges, Approaches, and Recent Developments
- Keynote Speaker: Radu Marculescu, Design and Optimization of Thousand-core Systems, IFIP/IEEE VLSI-SoC 2011
- Keynote Speaker: Radu Marculescu, Workshop on Designing for Embedded Parallel Computing Platforms (W3), DATE 2011
- General Co-Chair: Radu Marculescu, International Symposium on Networks-on-Chip 2011 (NOCS2011)
* New: Multiple Open Positions in the System Level Design group at CMU
We are looking for top candidates to join our research team (http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~sld/) as Research Assistants starting Spring or Fall 2013. Exceptional candidates with a Ph.D. recently completed will also be considered for an open Post-doctoral position.
Research Assistant (RA) in Embedded Systems Main responsibilities are related to two on-going projects on power management and optimization of massively integrated multicore platforms where communication happens via the network-on-chip approach. The main goal of these projects is to address some fundamental issues of designing effective and highly scalable control algorithms for power and thermal management in multi-domain multicore systems where communication happens via the network-on-chip approach. These projects involve both HW and SW issues, developing new algorithms and optimization approaches, as well as prototyping work. This work is sponsored by prestigious funding agencies (NSF, SRC); direct interaction with outstanding mentors from companies like Intel, Mathworks, etc. offers ample opportunities for producing a high caliber Ph.D. thesis in this area. Candidates should have excellent analytical and communication skills, experience with C/C++/Matlab software development. Prior experience in systems and/or control theory and experience in using FPGAs/GPUs will provide an added advantage.
Research Assistant (RA) in Cyber-physical Systems Main responsibilities involve work on modeling, optimization, and control of cyber-physical systems with emphasis on embedded and biological applications. The on-going project that supports this position targets modeling and control of dense networks of bacteria for drug delivery and healthcare applications. This project involves highly interdisciplinary work with emphasis on algorithmic approaches for modeling and optimization of biological systems. This work is sponsored by prestigious funding agencies (NSF); direct interaction with outstanding collaborators from the experimental side offers ample opportunities for producing a high caliber Ph.D. thesis in this area. Candidates should have excellent analytical and communication skills, experience with C/C++/Matlab software development. Prior exposure in biological systems, and/or control theory will provide an added advantage.
Postdoctoral Associate Main responsibilities involve work on modeling, optimization, and control of cyber-physical systems with emphasis on embedded and biological applications. Candidates should have a PhD degree in electrical or computer engineering, computer science, or another relevant field (e.g., physics, applied mathematics, systems/computational biology), excellent analytical and communication skills, experience with C/C++/Matlab software development. Prior experience with complex system and network modeling, or FPGAs/GPUs will provide an added advantage.
Interested candidates in any of these positions should submit their questions directly to Prof. Radu Marculescu at email@example.com.
- Guest Co-Editor: Radu Marculescu, Special issue on Network-on-Chip Architectures and Design Methodologies 2011 in Microprocessors and Microsystems: Embedded Hardware Design (MICPRO).
- Guest Co-Editor: Radu Marculescu, Special Issue on Design and Test of Interconnects for Multicore Chips 2008 in IEEE Design & Test of Computers. More info is available here.
- Guest Editor: Radu Marculescu, Introduction to the Special Section on Networks-on-Chip 2008 in IEEE Transactions on Computers. More info is available here.
- Distinguished ACM Speaker: Radu Marculescu.
To request any of these lectures, please check their corresponding website: Lecture 1, Lecture 2, or Lecture 3.
- Recent talks:  Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Other talks:  Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France;  Allegheny College, Meadville, PA., Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich (Switzerland), Technical Univ. of Munich (Germany), Univ. of Erlangen-Nurnberg (Germany), Univ. of Karlsruhe (Germany), Univ. of Sevilla (Spain), and Univ. of Timisoara (Romania)
- CMU project redefines network design - Interview with Richard Goering for SCDsource Newsletter