Exam 2 Solutions
- Exam solutions for this semester's exam 2.
- Exam 2s can be picked up from the ECE Course Hub, in HH 1112. They are generally open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday.
New VirtualBox image!
- We are releasing a new virtualbox image. You can download it from
- Instructions on how to use this image can be found
go through the instructions before running the image.
- This image is exactly identical to the one which Autolab uses for
grading. It does not have any GUI (or other fancy stuff) since we planned on
keeping all the library versions and other things as close to Autolab as
possible. However, Autolab is a large-scale grading system and although we
have tried our best to provide an image as close to Autolab as possible, it is
impossible to exactly mimic Autolab's behavior for every corner case. A code
that passes on this VM does not necessarily guarantee success on Autolab but
the chances of failure will be reduced drastically.
- We strongly suggest you follow these steps before concluding that
Autolab is grading the code incorrectly:
- Please make sure that you have initialized any allocated memory before
using it (e.g., memset allocated memory to 0).
malloc() does not allocate initialized memory and local variables aren't
- Double check string operations. A missing '\0' can wreck havoc in the
code. (Think about 15-213 bufferlab).
- Fix the cause of all warnings. Please pay attention to warnings. Quite
often, they are the source of silent failures.
- Make sure the code isn't making any illegal memory accesses. This can be
easily found by using tools like
- Please realize that although we're using FUSE, the filesystem that we're
developing is very much real! A good implementation can actually be used in
real life. Strive to make your CloudFS usable for everyday use.
Exam #2 at 7pm on Wednesday, April 23
PROJECT 2, PART 1 DEADLINE EXTENDED
Because of changes in the project as handed out, and the day late release of the material, 746 staff has decided to allow you a little more time to submit project 2, part 1:
Originally due Thursday April 3, 11:59 pm EDT
- If submitted before Friday April 4, 11:59 pm EDT: 0% penalty
- If submitted before Saturday April 5, 11:59 pm EDT: 0% penalty
- If submitted before Sunday April 6, 11:59 pm EDT: 50% penalty
- If submitted on or after Monday April 7: 100% penalty
This effects the deadline and grade of part 1 only. Part 2 deadline does not change, and you must accomplish part 1 in order to accomplish part 2. In this sense it is a bad idea to take two extra days “polishing” part 1 — submit on time and get started on part 2 without delay.
Lab 2 is out
- Release date March 25, 2014
- Due dates: part 1: April 3 (see above), part 2: April 17, part 3: May 1 and final report: May 2.
- View Lab part 1 (in Autolab)
- Download materials (on Schedule page)
Course mailing list
746 meeting time: 1pm
- Starting from day #1, this class will meet from 1:00PM to 2:20PM in
Doherty Hall 1212,
rather than 12:30-2:20. So, go ahead and eat lunch before class ;).
Homework webpage is up
- The Homework web page has pointers to homeworks from the previous offerings of this class.