Active Foo Survey Topics
- growth curves
Management of Systems
- discovery of changes (additions, subtractions)
- process migration
- function shipping
- result persistence
- Java, Tcl, Perl, PLAN, ActiveX
- QoS, admission control
- function placement (amongst components)
- preventing denial of service
- Toolkits, libraries
- debug support
- made easier or harder?
- authentication, policies, standard stuff
- "protect programmers from themselves"
- monitor and react
Case Study: Active Embedded/consumer stuff
- IEEE1394, DVD ?, Spectrumware, Digital Ink, Wearables ?
Case Study: Active Networks
Case Study: Distribution of function inside the box
- Intelligent NICs, IRAM, "smart" graphics cards, etc.
Case Study: Active Disks
Application Case Study: Databases and Activeness
Active Foo: What and Why?
Topics discussed, but not selected
- Protection (this one got distributed amongst other topics)
- Agent-based applications
- Jini (mobile code frameworks/platforms)
- web-related applications (applets, etc.)
- Application case study: filters