The project statement and list of ideas are here: PDF
Feel free to do further reading on available topics, especially in the proceedings of the top computer architecture conferences.
A useful list of papers about research writing in PDF format:
Some of the major conferences in the field:
Step 1: Pick 3 research papers broadly related to your project.
Step 2: (Due Wed, Mar 16th) - Send Onur list of papers with links to pdf copies, so that he can make comments and approve the selection.
Step 3: Prepare a 20-min presentation on the 3 selected papers - 20 talk, 10 minute Q&A
Step 4: Deliver presentation in class, April 4th and 6th.
- Understand the solution space and tradeoffs
- Analyze and synthesize three papers
- Explain how they relate to your project, how they can enhance it, or why your solution will be better
- Read the papers very carefully
- Attention to detail is important
- The problem: What is the general problem targeted by the papers and what are the specific problems?
- The solutions: What are the key ideas and solution approaches of the proposed papers?
- Key results and insights: What are the key results, insights, and conclusions of the papers?
- Tradeoffs and analyses: How do the solutions differ or interact with each other? Can they be combined? What are the tradeoffs between them? This is where you will need to analyze the approaches and find a way to synthesize a common framework to describe and qualitatively compare & contrast the approaches.
- Comparison to your project: How do these approaches relate to your project? Why is your approach novel, different, better, or complementary?
- Key conclusions and new ideas: What have you learned? Do you have new ideas/approaches based on what you have learned?
Lee et al., "An Efficient Quality-Aware Memory Controller for Multimedia Platform SoC," Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 2005.
Kim et al., "Thread Clustering Memory Scheduling" MICRO 2010.
Rafique et al., "Effective Management of DRAM Bandwidth in Multicore Processors," PACT 2007.
Aswathi et al., "Handling the Problems and Opportunities Posed by Multiple On-Chip Memory Controllers," PACT 2010.
Wentzlaff et al., "An Operating System For Multicore and Clouds: Mechanisms and Implementation," SoCC 2010.
Chou and Marculescu, "Contention-Aware Application Mapping for Network-on-Chip Communication Architectures," ICCD 2008.
M. K. Qureshi et al., "Adaptive Insertion Policies for High Performance Caching", ISCA 2007.
Jaleel et al., "Adaptive insertion policies for managing shared caches," PACT 2008.
X. Jiang et al., "CHOP: Adaptive Filter-Based DRAM Caching for CMP Server Platforms," HPCA 2010.
K. Sudan et al., "Micro-Pages: Increasing DRAM Efficiency with Locality-Aware Data Placement", ASPLOS 2010.
Li et al., "Understanding the Propagation of Hard Errors to Software and Implications for Resilient System Design, ASPLOS 2008," ASPLOS 2008
Misailovic et al., "Quality of Service Profiling," ICSE 2010.
Hughes and Adve, "A formal approach to frequent energy adaptations for multimedia applications," ISCA 2004
Nychis et al., "Next Generation On-Chip Networks: What Kind of Congestion Control Do We Need?" Hotnets 2010
Scott and Sohi. "The Use of Feedback in Multiprocessors and its Application to Tree Saturation Control." IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems 1990.
Thottethodi et al., "Self-Tuned Congestion Control for Multiprocessor Networks", HPCA 2001.
Ebrahimi et al., "Fairness via Source Throttling: A Configurable and High-Performance Fairness Substrate for Multi-Core Memory Systems," ASPLOS 2010.